WOU lost to UAF and UCSD lost to San Marcos, but none of it surprises us any more because that is life in the D2West right now. Before we get into how it affects bids and things like that, we’re going to go over some NIGHTLIGHTS!!!!!! Yay. GNAC Men’s Basketball players are AWESOME. Not sarcastic, promise.
CWU @ WWU
Really sloppy game by both teams, but:
- KYLE IMPERO (WWU) HAD 15 REBOUNDS.
- JOE STROUD (CWU) HAD 11 BOARDS!!!!!!!
- Both favored the defensive side of things, interestingly enough.
MSUB @ SMU
The Saints fought valiantly after being down by a lot but ultimately couldn’t complete the come back.
- PRESTON BEVERLY HAD 13 BOARDS!!!!!!
- EMMANUEL JOHNSON HAD 22 POINTS!!!!!!! On roughly 80% shooting.
- Mr. Sneeze (aka Sven) shot 100%.
- TYLER COPP WAS 8/8 FROM THE LINE!!!!!!! If the Saints had pulled it off, he’d be our MVP.
It’s interesting Preston (we swear we didn’t forget you in frosh of the year stuff, only that you’re a freshman) responded huge to a completely unintentional overlook (you follow us on twitter, that gets you uuuuber bonus points with us, duh) and yet Rhett Baerlocher had a terrible game. We didn’t watch, but we’ll credit Preston with the defensive shut down of Rhett, just ’cause congruence.
CU-P @ UAA
- COREY HAMMELL HAD 13 BOARDS. Aka played typically for Corey. We heart that kid soooo much.
- BRIAN MCGILL HAD NINE ASSISTS. And is benefitting because we can’t find his listed turnovers, so that may or may not deserve to be highlighted, but oh well.
CU-PORTLAND DIDN’T SEND SUKI TO THE LINE 20 MILLION TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!! They limited him to four free throws, which is a miracle and amazing and congrats Cavaliers, ridiculously proud of you.
WOU @ UAF
- TRAVANTE HAD 11 BOARDS AND 25 POINTS!!!!! While going 10/12 from the line.
- EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE GAME HAD A REBOUND. That’s huge.
- THE NOOKS COLLECTIVELY HARASSED ANDY AVGI INTO BEING 2/11 FROM THE FIELD. Worst performance of the year. By far.
- DEVON ALEXANDER HAD A FULL HOUSE AND PLAYED REALLY SMART BASKETBALL.
West Region Stuff to Know
On Monday Cal Baptist beat Concordia-Irvine by 10, but we wonder if CU-Irvine is just tanking at this point to try and make sure the Pac-West gets more than merely their conference tournament auto-bid.
San Marcos upset UC San Diego, but San Marcos is ineligible for a bid to the tournament because they’re also in a transition year. They’re currently fifth in the CCAA so wouldn’t be looking at an at-large bid anyway. We don’t think it affects UCSD in any meaningful way because everyone has weird losses and San Marcos is a good team.
WOU lost to Alaska-Fairbanks. That means both the Falcons and the Wolves have losses to UAF and CWU. We’re still fully in the camp that WOU is pretty much hosting no matter what, because SPU just lost to CWU and SMU. Had the Falcons won, we’d still say that we’re all trooping down to Monmouth, but it would be much more of a discussion.
UAA beat CU-Portland, the Seawolves are still in contention for at-large bid, but who knows.
We honestly won’t have any real idea of non SPU/WOU/USCD/Chico bids until after the conference championship games have been played. It’s actually kind of a good year for whoever’s on the selection committee because it’ll be really hard to truly screw up our region. There are so many solid arguments for about 10 different teams, so… Provided those four are in, from where we stand now we’re prepared to not complain about any of the seeding nor any of the teams that get the nod/don’t get the nod.
See y’all tomorrow morning for a bigger run down of the GNAC games.